Amid the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic, the Department of Education ensures the effective implementation of the K to 12 curriculum while strictly implementing adherence to government’s public health protocols. To ensure the delivery of accessible, responsive, and quality education throughout this heath crisis, the Department of Education issued DepEd Order 34 s 2022 – Implementing Guidelines on the School Calendar and Activities for the School Year 2022-2023.
This Policy is intended to provide schools and CLCs with direction and guidance in the re-opening of classes, the gradual introduction of 5 days in-person learning modality, and the organizing of curricular and co-curricular operations within the required number of school days.
These Implementing Guidelines on the School Calendar and Activities for School Year 2022-2023 ensure that all public and private schools, as well as non-DepEd schools offering basic education, adhere to the number of school days required to implement the curriculum and allowed co-curricular activities throughout the school year. These policy guidelines ensure that school days are devoted to instructionally-relevant activities that support learners in attaining the learning standards.
Highlights of the General Guidelines for the School Year 2022-2023
- Enrollment shall start from July 25, 2022 to August 22, 2022
- Brigada Eskwela August 1-26, 2022
- Oplan Balik Eskwela shall be conducted on August 15, 2022
- School Year 2022-2023 shall formally Start on: Monday, August 22, 2022
- School Year 2022-2023 shall formally End on: Friday, July 7, 2023
- There shall be a Total of 203 school days
- ( or as may be determined by further issuance/s in case of changes in the school calendar due to unforeseen circumstances)
- Alternative Learning System (ALS), learning intervention shall formally open on August 22, 2022.
- Parent-teacher conferences and report cards distribution shall be held not earlier than the second Saturday following the end of every quarter.
- Christmas Break shall begin on December 19, 2022, Monday. Classes shall resume on January 4, 2023, Wednesday.
- Remedial Classes for public schools shall start on July 17, 2023, Monday, and shall end on August 26, 2023, Saturday.
- Classes are immediately suspended during observances of regular and special national holidays as stipulated by the law, as well as, local holidays which have been duly declared by law or Presidential Proclamation.
- Schools shall strictly devote ten (10) weeks of every academic quarter to actual classroom teaching. The eleventh week of each quarter may be used for the conduct of co-curricular activities.
- DepEd intends for schools to have 5 days classes through any of the following options, to be implemented by schools until October 31, 2022.
- 5 days of in-person classes;
- Blended learning modality:
- 3 days of in-person classes and 2 days of distance learning (modular, online, or television/radio-based instruction); and thereafter, or
- 4 days of in-person classes and 1 day of distance learning (modular, online, or television/ radio-based instruction)
- Ex. Mondays to Wednesdays (in-person classes) and Thursdays to Fridays (distance learning).
- Ex. Mondays to Thursdays (in-person classes) and Friday (distance learning).
- Full Distance Learning.
- Starting November 2, 2022, all public and private schools shall have transitioned to 5 days of in-person classes.
- After November 2, 2022, no school shall be allowed to implement purely distance learning or blended learning except for those that are implementing Alternative Delivery Modes
- The time allotment for in-person class hours shall be based on Annex 1 (Elementary Education) and Annex 2 (Secondary Education) of DO 21, s. 2019.
DepEd Guidelines on Classroom-Based and System Assessments for the School Year 2022-2023
- The Most Essential Learning Competencies (MELCs) shall continue to apply for SY 2022-2023.
- Classroom assessment shall follow DO 8, s. 2015 or the Policy Guidelines on Classroom Assessment for the K to 12 Basic Education Program.
- Formative assessments shall be regularly conducted by the teachers.
- At the national level, the Bureau of Education Assessment (BEA) shall conduct the following system assessment:
- Early Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment (ELLNA) and the
- National Achievement Test (NAT).
- The Phil-IRI Group Screening Test (GST) for Filipino (Grade 3 to Grade 6) and for English (Grade 4 to Grade 6), shall be conducted within the first or second month of the school year as provided for in DO 14, s. 2018 or the Implementing Guidelines on the Administration of the Revised Philippine Informal Reading Inventory,
- The Individualized Phil-IRI Assessment shall be conducted within a month after the GST is administered. The schedule of administration of the Posttest shall be announced in a separate issuance.
- The Multi-Factored Assessment Tool (MFAT) shall be administered to Grade 1 learners a month after the opening of classes, as provided for in DO 29, s. 2018 or the Policy on the Implementation of MFAT.
DepEd Guidelines on Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities for the School Year 2022-2023
- Classes are immediately suspended during observances of regular and special national holidays as well as local holidays which have been duly declared by law or through Presidential Proclamation.
- The number of school days in this DO shall solely be dedicated to academics and related co-curricular activities.
- The conduct of extra-curricular activities shall be strictly prohibited.
- Virtual activities through different social media platforms which require reactions or sharing may be done for advocacy, awareness, or collaboration purposes, but shall not form part of the learner’s scholastic grade.
- Curricular and co-curricular activities that involve the in-person gathering of a large number of participants like the National Schools Press Conference, National Science and Technology Fair, National Festival of Talent, and other similar undertakings, may be conducted in hybrid modality subject to the declared alert levels of the country.
- Curricular activities shall be conducted during the academic quarter
- Co-curricular activities shall be conducted after the quarter examinations to avoid disruption of classes.
DepEd Order 34 s 2022 – Implementing Guidelines on the School Calendar and Activities for the School Year 2022-2023.
Source: Department of Education