Public elem, high school enrollment to continue until end of June —DepEd
Enrollment for public elementary and high schools will continue until the end of the month to allow late entrants to catch up with their classes, scheduled to begin this coming Monday, 4th of June.
Department of Education (DepEd) Secretary Leonor Briones in an interview on Friday on Super Radyo dzBB’s “Dobol B sa News TV” reminded parents and their children that enrollment has been ongoing since January and will continue until the end of this month.
“Nagsimula ang ating enrollment noong January at magpapatuloy ito hanggang itong June upang makahabol ang hindi pa naka-enroll,” Briones said.
Briones also said the DepEd is expecting some 29 million pupils and students for the School Year 2018-2019.
“Last year we had 29 million pupils and students in public schools. This year, we expect around the same number as the number of those who graduated high school will be replaced by new entrants. Sa kindergarten, we are expecting over a million new pupils,” she added.
Briones said that past years’ “physical problems” —lack of classrooms, school buildings and other education facilities —have been addressed.
“Sa ngayon, nakahabol na ang Public Works and the DepEd in terms of constructing buildings. At yung pupil-teacher ratio ay maa-address na rin. Dapat sa Kinder ay 35 per class at mga 45 per class sa Gade 6 and other grade levels”
Likewise, she said, the problem of lack of teachers has been also addressed.
“Maraming mga teacher ang nag-a-apply ngayon sa public schools. Ang iba ay galing sa private schools … mas mataas na ngayon ang sahod, P21,000 ang salary grade level I,” she added.